Saturday, March 15, 2014

Google Chromebook: Review

I bought my Acer Google Chromebook  C720 back in November 2013 from a Best Buy in Newnan, GA. My previous laptop, also an Acer, but was infected with a virus from a memory stick that was given to me by my job. After my employers refused to accept responsibility for infecting my laptop, I was in desperate need of a replacement at an affordable price.  As an educator who spends over 60% of his day inside Google, I figured that a Chromebook was the obvious choice for a renewal.  The price was also a great lure. A Google laptop for under $200 was flipping Awesome! Boasting features like; virus resistant security design, extremely light weight and to go size, instant on, web based applications and video conferencing, I was overwhelmed by the salesperson who seemed to be a bigger Google guru than me.  The personalization aspect became apparent as soon as I signed into Google and all my Google applications appeared at the bottom of my screen. Instant access to my files in Google Drive, my videos on YouTube, my Calendar and Gmail.  It seemed like Chromebook was perfect for me. But after a few months, I'm starting to think I should have done a little more research before I just dived on in. Here are my gripes;


  • No VPG plug. This is a big time deal buster for me that I didn't notice before I purchased.  Not only are VPGs necessary for class presentations, but conference presentations as well. 



  • No CD player. For me this is not a big deal, but for those big movie goers who have no idea that the same movies are available online and faster download speed, this is more annoying than a car alarm that refuses to stop blaring off.



  • Can't install Windows. Since there is no CD player, of course installing programs is impossible.  Personally, I am not a huge fan of Windows, but as I have recently been searching for part time work as an online tutor, I am finding that ALL online tutoring companies require Windows.  



  • Small storage capacity. This is a big deal for some, but then again, when you do most of your storage in the clouds, do you really need a laptop with a lot of storage space.


Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. I love the battery life and its quick recharge time.  Its weight and small size takes up more space than most books in my book bag; And for $200, I can't complain too much. I just wish I had done a little more research before I purchased. So, with that being said, I hope this quick review helps you make a sound decision if you have been in the market for a Chromebook.

Best
#mrford#techsavvyteacher



No comments:

Post a Comment