Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Google's Chromecast vs Samsung's AllShare Cast aka 'dongle'

Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle
So earlier this year I purchased a 'dongle' from Samsung in order to reflect images from my phone to my TV. I spent around $100 for a device that did exactly what it was advertising.  I was so impressed by it, that I HAD to bring it to work the next day and show it off. I actually brought my own 32 inch TV with me to work in order to show off how my 'dongle' worked.  My students and colleagues were not as blown away as I was, but they were nonetheless impressed. Seeing how I was then already on the verge of completely giving up on cable, I thought my 'dongle' would replace Comcast and I could spend all day watching YouTube and Netflix from my Note 2. And for a long time, I did just that. I let my cable bill go and I spent my free time watching The Young Turks and music videos on YouTube.  If I wanted to watch a movie, I hit up Netflix.  

Since I move around a lot, my 'dongle' was the perfect solution to entertain myself as I could plug it into any TV; and from my phone entertain myself.  So when a few months back, Google was advertising a similar device known as Chromecast for $10-$15 dollars, I scoffed at it. I mean, I already had a 'dongle' and it worked flawlessly.  I soon learned that the orders for Chromecast were set back for months and that it was damn near impossible to get one in a store.  

Recently, I had seen  a commercial for Chromecast again, but for $35.  And again, I scoffed at it. That was until someone got a hold of my phone and broke it. I was forced to spend $175 in replacement fees just go get another phone of the same model (Thank God I pay the insurance on it). 
Unfortunately, after I received my new replacement phone, it refused to connect to my 'dongle'.

Google Chromecast
 Forced to live a day or two with no way to reflect my phone to my TV, I caved in and bought a Chromecast from Best Buy mainly because of its cheaper price. Even though the 'dongle' price is now reduced by $30, it is still not as cheap as Chromecast.  I was also impressed by one or two features that Chromecast held vs. Samsung's 'dongle'. For example, with Chromecast, I can multitask; such as remain streaming live videos while taking phone calls or surfing chrome from the same phone.  You can't do that on Samsung's device.   On the other hand,  it appears that Chromecast does not feature HD options on Youtube videos, something that Samsung 'dongle' does very well.

So at the end of the day my good persons, Chromecast is cheaper, works with multiple phone brands, and allows you to stream videos and make phone calls at the same time; as compared to Samsung's 'dongle'.

And there you have it. I'm #mrford, your #techsavvyteacher!
 




                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment